Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (NIV)

Sunday, 27 June 2010

TRUST

I was doing some "reflection" on today's gospel at smota this morning before the beginning of mass..
When the days for his being taken up were fulfilled, he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem, and he sent messengers ahead of him. On the way they entered a Samaritan village to prepare for his reception there, but they would not welcome him because the destination of his journey was Jerusalem.

When the disciples James and John saw this they asked, "Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to consume them?" Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they journeyed to another village.

As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head."

And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "(Lord,) let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." (To him) Jesus said, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God."

Luke 9:51-62
Instead of sending down fires frm heaven to destroy the Samaritans for not welcoming them (they do not welcome them as they are more of an enemies due to different cultures, practices etc), Christ rebuked His disciples who'd given tt suggestion. He'd given the Samaritans free will to accept Him.. He did not force them to accept Him but gave them free will & time. Like the Samaritans, we had always been respected by God and has always been given the free will to follow Him.. He wanted us to follow Him willingly.. for we will only be able to carry out His works when we do it w/ free will.

The climax of the gospel came when 3 ppl actually "offered" to follow Jesus.. But they need to "make some arrangements" 1st before they embarked on their journey..

From the 3 scenarios, we can see tt Christ was actually trying to be a little "harsh" so as to keep them mentally prepared of the realities & consequences of following Him.. &.. to me, its more than tt.. The journey wont be easy as what many may thought so.. But its really abt trusting tt He, the big brother, & God, the Almighty Father, will be able to take care of them.

I recalled how I reacted to this passage when I read this many many years ago.. My 1st response was, "you must be kidding.. Are you sure you are hard-hearted enough to do it?" Yes.. tt was how I responded.. perhaps I was too naive (I was only 14yrs old or so) and was unable to look deeper into it.. & I just take and accept it "theologically".. coz its more of, "since you say so, then it must be" kind of mentality..

Many many months ago (last oct).. I chanced upon this passage as well.. and I thought, "yes.. true enough.." and then, the Holy Spirit read the following passage to me..

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? - Matthew 6:25-27

As I was trying to make links from this passage to today's gospel, this passage (Matthew 6:25-27) taught me abt placing our trust in God.. its abt entrusting our everyday life to Him.. for everything is under His care & control.. & there is no need for us to worry abt them as God will definitely help us to "jagar" things in life.. If we follow Him, He will take care of all the things tt we'd left behind..because what He wants of us, is merely to do His works.. As for the rest, He'll handle/ manage on our behalf..

This morning.. as I "reflected" upon it.. My response was, "Yes Lord, as You'd said so.. I'd already placed all of my "concern" onto You.. Just let me know what You want of me.."

I recalled my own journey.. the 1st sign which I asked of God.. I know and I understand tt if I am going to embark on this journey, I will have to "let go" of my family, my current comfort.. my possessions.. my "riches".. I can't allow my family to rely too much on me anymore.. I then realised tt my response was like the person no. (2) whom wanted to follow Christ but needs to "bury his dad".. Its not so much of physically burial to me.. but its abt letting go of my family, in the state they are at, which may seem a little heartless for me to leave them.. I remembered telling God tt the main concern which I have was my family.. I cant possibly let go of them.. parents were in long-term conflict and my bro was unstable and relies alot on my family.. esp financially for more than a decade.. & apart frm dad, I was the 2nd-in-line to bring money back.. As many of you already know.. God had responded to this concern of mine by giving my bro a job.. a job tt we'd least expected due to his qualification.. getting a salary which we can never dream of.. God has also reconciled both parents of mine through my brother's incidents (after fighting w/ each other for nearly 30yrs)..

After all the events & things tt had occured, the Lord said to me, "see, it has been done for you as you'd asked." I was stunned beyond words of course..

That was the time.. when I started to really put ALL of my trust in Him..

Several ppl may thought tt I am insane.. but truly truly I say to you.. Its really tt awesome.. It may not be tt easy as somehow its really against human logic tt cannot be understand.. But its really abt how you do it.. Its only when we entrust ourselves to God, then will He be able to do His works through us.. If we keep resisting God and dont allow Him to work through us, we will NEVER be able to see what God has intended to do.. We will only be stunting the flow of His power..

**Always Keep Him in your heart. In everything, give thanks.. for it is God's will for you in Christ Jesus..**

No comments:

Search This Blog

Facebook Badge