Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (NIV)

Sunday, 23 May 2010

Music Class

Just returned frm my keyboard class a while ago..Rec'd a letter frm school tt my fees will be adjusted w.e.f June2010.. coz I am in GRADE II now!! YEAH!!!! I am quite happy.. coz I just started last Sept and unknowingly, I am in Grade II now..  Time really flies.. & I am really enjoying the lessons.. It is not tt I am learning much (coz its seemingly the same tt we just keep playing songs one after another) during the class (coz its only half an hour per wk) but i supposed its the teacher.. who always allow me to "squeeze her dry".. I would always bring pieces to her & seek her opinions on the scores and method of playing etc.. Also one who always allow me to "crack" her brain in helping me to think of the best choice of chords to use for the songs tt I just play out of nowhere. I really felt blessed to have her as my teacher who is so flexible & open to my questions.

I felt quite bad actually.. coz frankly speaking, I started grade II in the mth of may.. Originally supposed to start in mid April but teacher just wanted me to "perfect" the songs in the books & start grade II in a new mth-ie May. I'd gotten my new book in May.. but I was still charged at GradeI.. Furthermore, I am currently abt halfway through my grade II book.

I recalled how I always enjoyed music lessons since Pri sch & sec sch.. & as my pri sch music teacher was also my dance teacher, I remember how she would teach me on the recorders and listening to rhythms.. let me play simple melodies on the sch's piano, and teach me those basic notes on the scales.. also some of those simple music "entertaining" instruments.. & also to help her prepare transparencies for her music classes where I learn basic theory. I used to be so envious of my friends who get to attend music class outside.. I remembered asking my mum to send me for class but I was turned down.. Reason 1: waste money. Reason 2: no future. Hmm...

So a year later, I picked up guitar on my own after I heard how nice my 2nd bro was playing.. There is no need to buy a guitar coz my bro has one.. & its portable.. so i supposed my mum wont object.. & on one beautiful afternoon, 3 of my friends & I "discussed" guitar w/ my art teacher & seemingly unbelieveable, Mrs Oh took us for the introductory class & I'd fallen in love w/ music of another kind.. I was in sec 1 tt time.. She showed us how 6strings could be used to make beautiful pieces.. & then we were left on our own to journey w/ my bro's guitar..Similarly, I did not take guitar lessons but just ventured songs after songs to widen my chords dictionary in my brain.. I played during sing-along sessions during CCAs & BBQs & camps.. & my juniors were honest enough to tell me tt I sing v awfully.. & tt my skills are bad. hahaha!! At tt time, I dont even know how to tune a guitar but surprisingly, ppl still can sing huh..! & tt is really v weird.. haha! I stopped just there coz I find it dry.. no variations and no atmosphere.. I stopped playing guitar until I find music life in Landings again! That was abt 7 yrs later.. where I supposed, learnt most of my skills frm.. No doubt there's no guitarist there, they are a group of ppl who really listens w/ the heart.. "Lesser strumming.. try plucking etc.." They're really a "bunch" of nice ppl.. who always encourages me to play.. & as time goes by, my interest grew.. also, my skills improved.. be it plucking or mix or etc. They have created in me a desire to learn more. I really thank God for this group of ppl who always play music w/ me either its for preparation for our P&W (which was one of my dreams) or if its for fun during retreats (where we blast the function room when everyone else is sleeping).

Ok. Back to my keys.. I remembered my eldest bro ever attend class when he was younger.. & he was my 1st teacher.. Each time we visit our grandma's place (both cousins learn piano), I would pester my bro to teach me a song or 2.. as I'd always loves keys, I'd pestered my parents to get a keyboard for me.. I got my 1st YAMAHA keyboard when I was in pri6 (when we shift house) but I did not attend any class.. my bro was my "teacher" back then.. I will just play for fun & spoil the atmosphere @ home, then he will disturb me, saying I am lousy.. & then he will then teach me bit by bit.. However, I felt tt I need to attend proper lesson coz what I can play was really v limited.. & perhaps boring.. All this came true only when I switch job last yr..! when my working hours are more fixed.. I cant imagine I am fulfilling my childhood dreams now.. Thank God for not forgetting me..

I remembered how hard I kept praying for vacancy in the music school's slots tt suit mine which almost all schools/ branches ard my area has no slots.. & also coz I cant wait to play music w/ my friends (kanektas, or even amplify-though I seldom get to see them..).. esp when I got so "ecstasied" by those music ministries in church.. The ways they use music to minister & reach out to ppl is simply awesome & I cant wait to be part of them. I remembered I waited for abt 6mths when the sch called me.

I really thank God for making it happen.. for allowing me to continue to explore the areas where I could possibly help to serve Him in.

I'd somewhat "failed" in the writing of scores for "You Laid Aside Your Majesty" such tt some of the keys are kind of out when we thought we wanted to try it out during retreat. I remembered I felt tt I am wasting my time (as my theories arent fantastic) as the scores aren't workable.. as frankly speaking, I dont really play frm scores.. I only play w/ chords, feelings and my ear.. I am bad w/ scores but I would love all of them to have the scores so they can use it in future in their other ministries.. Although my scores are out, I was encouraged by both J & F tt we can always fine-tune the scores & I shld continue doing what I am guided to do..

I promise I will continue to write & improve on my theories so tt we can have scores for the songs we want to play so dearly..

Here, I just wanna thank Landings.. all of you.. L, F, J, T, C, G, D for always being so encouraging to my styles of music.. for appreciating my works.. for risking to try out my scores (for songs tt only has guitar chords).. w/o you, I may still be loitoring ard everywhere else except church.. and wasting my time helping my ex-colleagues/ bosses to do their works.. Thanks for being my anchor..

May we continue to be God's instruments as we minister each session w/ the gifts God has given us w/. God bless always!

**Always Keep Him in your heart. In everything, give thanks.. for it is God's will for you in Christ Jesus..**

No comments:

Search This Blog

Facebook Badge